Words and Sentences
Learn how words are created from parts of words, such as roots, prefixes and suffixes.
Learn how visual and letter clues can help you learn the meaning of a word.
Learn how the meaning of new words can sometimes be figured out by the words and sentences before and after the word.
- Most words have multiple meanings. Learn how to detect the best meaning of a word in a text from the words and sentences before and after the word.
- Learn about pronouns (such as he, she, and it). Figure out what person, place, thing, or idea a pronoun refers to in a text.
- Sometimes the author’s meaning is different from the literal meaning of the words. Learn how to identify the non-literal language and figure out its meaning in texts.
- Learn about the role of visual information (such as text style and picture images) in helping you understand a text.
- Learn how to identify texts that are stories (narrative), persuasion, versus informational.
- Review the reading strategies learned from the previous lessons in words and sentences.